Monday, October 19, 2009

Ranch Chores

It's been a very hectic couple of weeks, but now it's time to come up for air. The cattle have all trucked off north to warmer grazing, and it was a very busy few days getting all the cows and calves sorted out and loaded up. We had two newborn calves, of course, that decided to be born the day before shipping so they had to be sent special delivery. The driver put all the babies in the front compartment and the moms and Brutus the Bull in the other compartments, so the little ones wouldn't get stepped on during the short drive north.

Newborn anythings are cute, with the possible exception of fledgling turkey vultures, although I must admit not having seen any of these recently. We do have turkeys, about 40 of them, and yesterday morning they were all roosting on the top rail of the south pasture fence. Rather an intimidating sight. Our neighbor used to feed them, but I'm not sure he does any longer. Tough pickings for them in the winter.

Then the rains came and that means the potatoes, carrots, beets, and turnips are still in the ground, although now they're in mud, which doesn't dig well. Hopefully things will dry out so we can dig before the mud freezes and snow falls.

With the early hard frost we lost most of the foliage, so up until now it's been a dull fall. The Tamaracks are beginning to turn, however, so there's color in the forest finally, even if it is a rather anemic shade of yellow. Some years it's spectacular and some years it's a bust. This year ranked about a 2 on the bust-o-meter.

Working on some low cholesterol recipes right now and hope to get them up before too long. Looking at some pumpkins with an eye towards souffle, pie, and pudding.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like things have been very busy for you. I love this time of year. Even in Florida we had a bit a of weather change. This is when I miss being up north - the vivid colors of the changing leaves, the crisp air, picking apples and pumpkins, hayrides. Anyway, it has been cooler here the past couple days, probably won't last but I'm enjoying it while it's here.

    Pumpkin soufle, pie and pudding...never had the pudding, sounds delish!

    Nancy, from Realms of Thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like fun...but a LOT of work! Whew.

    Can't wait for the pumpkin recipes!

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin recipes more than anything else I bake. I'll especially be looking forward to the pudding and the souffle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like pumpkins, but mostly roasting them or making soup. Not that into pudding. I wonder if pumpkin ice-cream will taste good.

    Bargain with the Devil

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I've been dabbling in learning German most of my adult life. Now it's crunch time. Fluency by December 31,2020. Come join me on my Final Approach to Learning German.