Friday, August 13, 2010

Stocking Up

Summer is in full swing now, and while folks living at lower elevations have several weeks (if not a couple of months) of summer left, those of us who hang out in the mountains can already see signs of autumn. There's been a change in cloud patterns, it's getting cooler at night, and the grass has slowed its growth and where it's not irrigated, has turned brown.

I love the fall. It's my favorite season. I like the feeling of stocking up for the cold, snowy weather ahead. I especially feel this way when we've returned from the Boise trip and have stopped at Costco to load up the truck with Stuff.

Putting everything away in the freezer and the pantry occupies much of the next morning and I make note of what we've bought and how much, so I can keep the inventory list up to date.

Blueberries

Blueberries, one of my favorite foods, are now in good supply at Costco and I bought half a dozen boxes. They go right in the freezer without needing any preparation. When I want some, I reach in the plastic container, take out a handful, and pop them in the microwave to defrost. This means my morning cereal will never be without those wonderful, nutritious, blue berries.

Corn

Farmers Markets are full of delicious, homegrown corn now and the price is right. Stock up and when you've eaten your fill, put some by for the winter. Remember that you need to use a pressure canner for canning corn.

While you're at it, why not try some corn relish? You'll find a great recipe in The Complete Idiot's Guide to Preserving Food.

Happy Autumn!

1 comment:

  1. The leaves are so pretty, but I dread the maples shedding out front. What a mess to clean up, haa!

    Searching for a Starry Night, Friends, a missing mini and a mischievous Dachshund

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I've been dabbling in learning German most of my adult life. Now it's crunch time. Fluency by December 31,2020. Come join me on my Final Approach to Learning German.